The Road to the Transfer Test
Comprehensive resources designed to pave the way for Primary 5 and 6 pupils wishing to sit the SEAG GL Transfer tests in Primary 7. The Road to the Transfer Test is a comprehensive resources covering all the skills needed before starting Transfer Test preparation after Christmas in Primary 6.
This resource is designed to guide you through the curriculum and exam techniques needed for success in the SEAG GL Transfer Test, at just the right level for the end of Primary 5, going into Primary 6. This is a gentle introduction to Transfer Test work.
Click on the products below for more details and videos.
NEW! 2023 SEAG style practice papers, aligned to the new SEAG specification.
A 40 page booklet containing maths problem solving questions. Each maths topic is broken down into two parts –
- What I need to know – children have the opportunity to practise the facts and learn how to master the maths.
- Problem solving questions based on the types of questions children might face in the transfer test at just the right level for their age. The topics and problem solving questions are designed to help children in the last term of P5 and the beginning of P6 with the aim to build confidence in this essential skill.
- Addition – one step problems
- Addition – two step problems
- Subtraction – one step problems
- Subtraction – two step problems
- Addition and Subtraction – 2 step problems
- Multiplication – one step problems
- Multiplication – two step problems
- Division no remainders – one step problems
- Division with remainders – one step problems
- Addition/Subtraction/Division – two step problems
- Time Duration problems
- Money problems
- Simple fraction of problems
- More complex fraction of problems
- Simple percentage problems
- Decimal problems
- Measure using length problems
- Measure using weight and volume problems
- Area and perimeter problems
- Mixed problems
Booklet 1 – Error Correction and Word Meanings
The focus of this 40 page booklet is on error correction and word meanings. These are both essential skills needed for the Northern Irish AQE and GL Transfer Tests. Both tests contain error correction sections which focus on spelling and punctuation errors. Transfer Test comprehension always includes finding synonyms. This skill is often new to children when they start practice papers. Teach them the techniques early and the papers will be less daunting!
- Homophone error correction
- Common spelling errors – plural nouns, double consonants, common misspellings
- Common spelling error correction
- Punctuation including contractions and apostrophe of possession
- Punctuation correction
- Words with similar meanings
- Mixed error correction
Booklet 2 – Comprehension and Grammar
The focus of this 30 page booklet is on comprehension and grammar. These are both essential skills needed for the Northern Irish AQE and GL Transfer Tests. Comprehension is the number one area that parents say their child struggles with when they begin practice papers of the AQE and GL tests. This booklet contains short comprehension passages with focused questions based on the types of questions asked in the Transfer Test. Children are not asked to write in sentences in the Transfer Test. Questions are multiple choice answers or require them to write short phrases or words.
Transfer Test comprehension always includes recognising and finding nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs within a passage. This skill is often new to children when they start practice papers. Teach them the techniques early and the papers will be less daunting!
- Finding nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs
- Multiple choice questions
- True/False/Don’t Know questions
- words of similar meaning questions
- 12 comprehension passages with 10 Transfer style comprehension questions for each passage.
This booklet introduces your child to the types of questions they will come across in the Transfer Tests at just the right level.
Watch our video for a preview of our Road to the Transfer Test booklets.