How can I help my Primary 6 prepare for the AQE and GL Assessment Transfer Tests?
How Can I Help My Primary 6 Prepare For The Transfer Test? This is a question that we get asked a lot by parents! Is it too soon to start preparing for the tests at the beginning of Primary 6?
Understandably, you may be worried that starting too soon may put unnecessary pressure on your child. Transfer Test preparation is a long haul and every child has different needs. Your child needs lots of no pressure learning time. If you can introduce your child to the types of question they will encounter in the AQE and GL tests early, and get them used to the style of questioning, the transition to practice papers later on in the P6 year will be much smoother.
With this in mind On Target Resources has created revision materials aimed at children coming out of Primary 5 and in the first half of Primary 6. The Road to the Transfer Test is a comprehensive resource designed to allow children to prepare for Transfer Test questions at just the right level for their stage of learning.
What does The Road to the Transfer Test include?
This book aims to revise the relevant facts and then allow your child to practice problem solving questions that are crucial to Transfer Test success. Each topic has 2 sections:
- What I need to know – learn the facts.
- Problem solving questions based on the types of questions children might face in the transfer test at just the right level for their age.
- Addition – one step problems
- Addition – two step problems
- Subtraction – one step problems
- Subtraction – two step problems
- Addition and Subtraction – 2 step problems
- Multiplication – one step problems
- Multiplication – two step problems
- Division no remainders – one step problems
- Division with remainders – one step problems
- Addition/Subtraction?Division – two step problems
- Time Duration problems
- Money problems
- Simple fraction of problems
- More complex fraction of problems
- Simple percentage problems
- Decimal problems
- Measure using length problems
- Measure using weight and volume problems
- Area and perimeter problems
- Mixed problems
English Skills 1
Error correction and word meanings.
These are both essential topics for the AQE and GL Transfer Tests. This booklet aims to get your child used to these questions, that appear in every AQE and GL test. Teach them the techniques early and the papers will be less daunting!
- Homophone error correction
- Common spelling errors – plural nouns, double consonants, common misspellings
- Common spelling error correction
- Punctuation including contractions and apostrophe of possession
- Punctuation correction
- Words with similar meanings
- Mixed error correction
English Skills 2
Comprehension and Grammar.
Comprehension is the number one area that parents say their child struggles with when they begin practice papers of the AQE and GL tests. However, there are certain types of questions that are asked in the AQE and GL tests. This booklet contains short comprehension passages with focused questions based on the types of questions asked in the Transfer Test. Children are not asked to write in sentences in the Transfer Test. Questions are multiple choice answers or require them to write short phrases or words.
Transfer Test comprehension always includes recognising and finding nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs within a passage. This skill is often new to children when they start practice papers. Teach them the techniques early and the papers will be less daunting!
- Nouns, verb, adjectives and adverbs identification.
- 12 comprehension passages with 10 Transfer style questions for each passage.
We hope this resource will help your Primary 6 prepare for Transfer Test. To find out more, see videos and browse our Road to the Transfer Test resources visit this page.